Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Making stuff...

As I read more about people like James Dyson and Steve Jobs, I've been reflecting about the culture of designers.

How designers create products of desire, yet often cannot afford to buy them.  Or how we are trained to serve the needs of somebody willing to pay for our service.  How can we be leaders of a new world if we are told that our job is to work for those that want to hire us, even if the job sucks.

I see my graduating class mates, and I see a lot of potential.  Great amount of skills that I have seen put through all-nighters, bad nutrition, frustration and sickness.  We could do anything if we were unified.  If it wasn't because of school loans, we would be free to make the things we want to make.  I wish there were people that invested in graduating students and treated them like professionals, not roockies.  I wish the school would of have a program that would hire students to design things for the school, instead of hiring some expensive reputable firm.

Any way, back to my point... Reading about great people teaches you that you gotta follow your heart.  My heart lies in making great products for people.  My goal isn't making the stock value of a company greater, it's to create those things that our memorable, those experiences you never forget... like your first Nintendo console.

This has also got me to think of my age.  Soon I'll be 27.  I'm leaving my mid-20 what I feel are the prime years.  It's with all these factors that I will begin Mendez Design Group.  A firm that researches, designs and creates products for the world and it's inhabitants.  It's motive... to empower designers by developing and producing ideas.  Ideas that don't just exist for the sake of existing but serve a greater purpose.

This group would probably have a link to WWW.CRMENDEZ.COM

... stay tuned for more as the plan unfolds :)

No comments:

Post a Comment